[DPRG] Inductors and PID

Subject: [DPRG] Inductors and PID
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Thu Nov 14 07:11:00 CST 2002

I was talking in passing to an older electrical engineer about my 10 amp 90V
motor controller.

I told him I was chopping and he said don't forget to add an inductor, or
you will burn out your motor's brushes faster.

I always thought the motor windings were a huge inductor, and why would I
want more?  I put a 3000V 2000 pF capacitor on the motor output to help
attenuate the spikes I think he is talking about.

I have never seen it on h-bridges, or is it only an issue with the high
voltage?   Can anyone point me to some sources?

Kip

Kipton Moravec  kip at kdream.com
DREAM
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacture
http://www.kdream.com