[DPRG] Inductors and PID

Subject: [DPRG] Inductors and PID
From: Ed Koffeman edk at kinetric.com
Date: Thu Nov 14 08:21:00 CST 2002

Hi, Kip.

The word "chopping" is usually used to describe very low frequency PWM, like old R/C controllers or older industrual controllers,
SCR controllers etc. that have very long ON times.  These cause the motor to have very high current ripple if there's not enough
inductance.  If it's low like that you also get the current dropping to zero during the OFF times. The motor is getting more like
bursts of full power and there are very large losses.

If you are actually doing PWM at e.g. 20 KHz the current is constant, with a triangle wave ripple - it never stops and doesn't spike
to high values.  You get the same effect as if you have attached a lower (ON time % of the supply) DC voltage.

So, tell him you're doing PWM at x Khz and unless you are using a slotless or other non-iron-core winding (very low inductance) I
doubt he'll maintain you're short on inductance.

To check, just measure the % of current ripple.  In general, if the current doesn't drop to zero during the OFF time (with e.g. 10%
of max current flowing) then you're not hurting anything.

Ed Koffeman