[DPRG] Problems running the CMUCam Java GUI App under Windows 2000

Subject: [DPRG] Problems running the CMUCam Java GUI App under Windows 2000
From: Michael Grundvig mike at electrotank.com
Date: Wed Nov 20 07:19:01 CST 2002

Java runs just fine on all the platforms everyone listed in this thread. I,
unfortunately, develop in Java for a living. I don't have a CMUCam, but I do
have plenty of experience with Java error messages. If someone has a problem
running HelloWorld or any other Java app, send me an email or post it to the
list, and I can walk you through it. Java requires a few more steps then C
and C++ in that classpath and environment variables might be required. As
for 1.3.1 vs 1.4. Odds are it isn't an issue. I say this because the
differences are pretty trivial with the exception of new classes available
in 1.4. The original error someone posted looked to be related to JNI. In
other words, the cam code is using C++ that's being called by Java. That's
pretty flaky as the C++ can be platform dependant along with all the rest.
Sadly, I know very little about JNI as I have never have to use it. Good
luck!

Mike

P.S. Personal rant. Flame shield enabled. Java as a language is so popular
and effective that Microsoft has emulated it for their own flagship language
in .NET (C#). In fact, the entire .NET environment runs in a similar VM
configuration. I know a lot of people love C and C++ and they will be here
for a long long time yet, but there is no doubt that Java has become very
common if not a standard in enterprise software development. In fact, I look
forward to the day when more and more chips support Java instead of C. Flame
shield off ;)