[DPRG] Accelerometer Questions

Subject: [DPRG] Accelerometer Questions
From: Karim Virani karim at compuguru.com
Date: Wed Nov 20 20:22:01 CST 2002

Yeah I agree with Dan - go with pressure, especially since absolute depth is
so important in this environment.  You could have a tonal range associated
with the depth range - emit an absolute depth scaled beep frequency every X
feet of ascension from the last beep, or a double-beep for descent.  Maybe a
short beep every minute to let you know you're still at the same depth and
the device is working, and different warning tones if you're rising too fast
or diving too deep.  I'd think that all these would be standard on any
speaker-equipped dive computer.  Or get fancy with text-to-speech depth
announcements.

Just looked it up on google and found this comment
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrianhigg/orca.htm):

"IT surprises me that audio diving computers have not become more popular.
Allowing me to keep my eye on my camera viewfinder, a unit that tells me my
depth each time it changes as well as my dive time and remaining no-stop
time, occasionally reminds me to check my air, and shouts a warning if I
ascend too fast, is almost essential to the way I dive. Also to be told in a
serious tone that I am on a "deep dive" once my no-stop time has elapsed
helps me avoid outstaying my welcome. "

There might be a market for a cheaper accessory like you're talking about
that doesn't try to replace all the functions of a dive computer.  Cool.

Karim