[DPRG] Problems running the CMUCam Java GUI App under Windows 2000

Subject: [DPRG] Problems running the CMUCam Java GUI App under Windows 2000
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Wed Nov 20 21:32:07 CST 2002

Well, after going through installing and de-installing several Java
versions.
I was successful at getting a older version of their CMUCam Java App to run
using
Symantec's 3.0c Java compiler system.
I haven't gotten their more current CMUCam release going yet.
But at least the camera works, although on my cam the lens is a little too
loose for holding the focus when you manually adjust it. I'll have to put a
tiny dab of silicon grease or something on it to stiffen it up a little.
Wow, 75mhz for the Scenix chip, almost makes me want to put a little heat
sink on that sucker, it is running a little on the warm side.

As for Java, I'm like the big boss at work, it always fails to work when you
go to show/demo him something.

Anyway, Sun's 1.3 - 1.4 software looked like it was working. But some class
libs seemed to always be missing. I was surprised when it had a bunch of
class errors running a simple Hello World app. It would work through MSIE
though.

The older version of the CMU Cam software had a Symantec Visual Cafe
project, so I dug through my old pile of CD's until I found 3.0c and treid
it and it liked it. But like usual it only runs from within the IDE
project's VM window. It won't run by itself. But it does compile without any
errors though.

It seems all the Java implementations don't tell you what all you need to
setup as for paths, lib paths and such. The setup programs always seem to
miss something.