[DPRG] Ni-cads

Subject: [DPRG] Ni-cads
From: Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Fri Nov 22 14:36:00 CST 2002

Dan Williams wrote:

> They said the batteries are welded in and if I tried
> to solder in new ones I would ruin them.

As Ed Koffeman said, the can definitely be soldered, but you must have a
fairly high wattage iron so that it heats the joint area to soldering
temperature very quickly. The mass of metal in a NiCd cell makes a
reasonably good heat sink. If you don't have a big enough iron, the
whole battery can suck up heat until it's hot enough to damage it
internally without ever getting the contacts hot enough to solder to.

Along the same line, once you have a big enough iron for the job, don't
cook the cell with it, either! Scuffing the contacts with a file to
promote rapid solder uptake will help, too.

Sluggy!

--

A friend will help you move.

A really good friend will help you move a body.