[DPRG] Wireless Ehternet (802.11 - Wi-Fi) for a robot

Subject: [DPRG] Wireless Ehternet (802.11 - Wi-Fi) for a robot
From: Jeffrey T. Birt ditto at ipa.net
Date: Sat Nov 30 17:56:00 CST 2002

Hello all,

    Due to starting a great new job ( http://web.umr.edu/~isf/ ) a few weeks ago I've not had a great deal of time to work on robots at home.  I'm dreaming up a project that I can work on at work tough!

    A great deal of the equipment in our lab is already network connected and we have an Campus wide 802.11 network as well.  On one side of the lab there is a CIM cell with automated storage / retrieval , CNC controlled mill and lathe etc.  (which does not all work together yet) On the other side is a another CIM cell mocking up an automated assembly system.

    I thought it would be pretty slick to have the first cell machine parts and a robot transport the parts over to the other side for assembly.  Since most of the other equipment concerned is already networked it seems prudent to take advantage of the existing 802.11 network for the bot.

    I've been searching for a 802.11 capable SBC or some sort of a serial to 802.11 device.  I've come up with the following so far.

http://www.atoptechnologies.com/gw21w.htm
http://www.embeddedx86.com/epc/ts5500-spec.php

    Another option would be to get a older laptop that will take a PCMCIA card and use it for doing 'soft' real time and communications and use a separate SBC for the 'hard' real time of motor control sensors etc.

    I'm fishing for suggestions or ideas.  Has anyone built there one wireless Ethernet bot yet?

Jeff Birt
Halfway, Missouri
(soon to be Rolla, Missouri the commute is a killer)