[DPRG] Sumo Robot contest added to Tabletop

Subject: [DPRG] Sumo Robot contest added to Tabletop
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at comcast.net
Date: Thu Aug 7 21:10:01 CDT 2003

Sorry, I stand corrected.

-----Original Message-----
>From: dprglist-admin at dprg.org [mailto:dprglist-admin at dprg.org] On Behalf
Of Pete Miles
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 8:04 PM
To: dprglist at dprg.org
Subject: Re: [DPRG] Sumo Robot contest added to Tabletop

The most current published Japanese robot sumo rules in English is at
www.nwrst.com.  These rules are translated rules from Japan as of
7/4/02.

As for 3 kg sumo being mainly an R/C event, this is not true.  During
the
last 4 years in Japan there has been over 4000 3 kg sumo robots that
started
the tournament season in September.  It is about 50:50 between
autonomous
and R/C.  One thing to note, these robots are all original from year to
year.  The same robot doesn't compete every year.

There are more R/C sumo robots in Canada than in the U.S.  In the U.S.
it is
mainly autonomous sumo robots that compete, very few clubs recognize
that
anything with a radio link can be considered a robot, so they ban R/C
sumo
robots.

The R/C rule set has existed in robot sumo from the very beginning, but
most
clubs prefer autonomous.

In my opinion, R/C sumo robots is a better place for beginners to get
started.  They get to learn all about the mechanics of building a robot
and
controlling the motors (most  sumo robots use the same motor controls
that
the R/C community already uses).  This way, they are not intimidated by
the
electronics and software.  Get them hooked on the sport and then slowly
introduce them to the advanced concepts of sensors and microcontrollers.

I build both types, and I use the R/C robots to improve my Autonomous
robot's programming.  They both go together hand and hand.

>From what I have seen, most R/C robots will beat most Autonomous robots.
Why? because the autonomous robot builders usually only implement
software
that works for edge detection and attempt to use sensors aim their
robots
towards their opponent, they are not using situational adaptive
strategies.
I personally think Autonomous robots can rule the game, because they can
respond faster and not panic.  I believe in using R/C robots to learn
how to
develop offensive and defensive software strategies in Autonomous
robots.

I built an R/C sumo to compete against the Japanese last March.  They
didn't
come, so I converted the robot to an autonomous sumo and ended up
winning
the Portland PDXBot event.  All I had to do is replace the R/C receiver
and
use a Basic Stamp for the brains, and add few sensors.  The rest of the
robot was already done, and I already worked out all of the mechanical
problems.  It was an easy transistion.  In fact, I did it in two nights
of
work.  Most of the two months work was building the robot (Who need a
Mill
when you have a file).  Now I am going to build another R/C robot to
compete
against the Japanese next March (hopefully they will come).

I am not saying that you should have an R/C sumo event, but consider it
as
an easier way for beginners to get started in.  One of the things you
could
do at your next RoboRama is to have a R/C sumo for spectators to use
against
an Autonomous sumo so they can get the exciting hands on feel of robot
sumo.
This is one way to get the public really excited about sumo, and really
impress them when they can't beat an autonomous sumo.

Yes, there are other venues where people can build R/C robots (like
Antweights and other Combat Robot weight classes), but I personally like
have my robots still in working order after a tournament is over.

Pete Miles
petem at ormondllc.com