[DPRG] Re: DPRG contests rationale

Subject: [DPRG] Re: DPRG contests rationale
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Fri Aug 15 23:41:01 CDT 2003

Howdy

Well, you're right.

I guess I never read it before.

The mission statement clearly associates contests with
Item #3 (To encourage the awareness) and NOT with
Item #2 (To assist members in the design and
construction of robots ) NOR with
Item #1 (To provide a forum...by holding regular meetings).

So it seems the framers of the mission statement thought of
the robot contests as a kind of public outreach (#3), and not
as an important and necessary tool for the development of
sophisticated robots (#1,#2).

>From where I sit that seems completely backwards!

dpa