[DPRG] programmable mobile robots for under $20

Subject: [DPRG] programmable mobile robots for under $20
From: Steve Hassenplug hassenplug at mail.com
Date: Wed Aug 20 12:59:00 CDT 2003

> > Also, I've been looking into communication between Spybots, and there is
> quite a bit of information passed between them, while running.  So, if
> you're interested in looking into "swarming" robots, you may want to drop
> another $20 for a second robot.
>
> That's exactly the information that I've been looking for, but I can't seem
> to find anything about it.  From the MindScript and NQC standpoint, I don't
> think that communication is possible between either other Spybots, Spybots &
> PCs or even Spybots and their IR remotes.  Waaaa!  :(
>
> Somebody tell me I'm wrong! (about this, I mean).

ok, you're wrong.  :)

I don't know all the details, yet, but after I posted a question about Spybot "zones" to LUGNET (LEGO User Group Net) I was contacted by someone from LEGO who was "heavily involved" in the Spybot project.  He offered to help me better understand the capabilities of the Spybot.

Actually, I don't have much info, because this just happened, today.  But from what I've seen, it looks VERY promising.

The robots send out an IR ping at a predefined interval.  (you can change the interval down to 10ms)

Another robot can use that info to determine: distance, direction, orientation(!), and the ID of the sending device, which can be a remote control, pc, or another Spybot.  (all that info came off one sheet from the "Spybotics Firmware Command Overview")

This isn't (yet) available in NQC.  I think there are quite a few changes required before it would work.  But I'm told it can be done with Mindscript.

I hope to have something worked out in about a week, and I'll try to put up a page after that.

Steve

ps, get your second Spybot, while you can...