[DPRG] Big Trak (warning....trip down nostalgia lane)

Subject: [DPRG] Big Trak (warning....trip down nostalgia lane)
From: Charlie W Youngblood chaz128 at juno.com
Date: Mon Aug 25 09:26:01 CDT 2003

Very cool! Do you have any of the documentation on it?
Is it possible to bring it to the RBNO? I could dig out
the one that I modified. I had to since it was missing
the 4 idler wheels. The drive wheels are still there though.

Charlie Youngblood
DPRG Librarian
>From: -Old Dog- <puppy_dog500 at yahoo.com>
To: "'DPRG'" <dprglist at dprg.org>

While helping the parent clean house, I found one of
my old childhood relics. The "Big Trak" tank by Milton
Bradley. See
http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/bigtrak/ for a pic.
Although itÂ’s kind of a stretch, this toy was fully
programmable, and could be considered a simple robot.

For those of you who donÂ’t remember the 70's, the Big
Track was an interesting piece of technology for the
time. It sported a dual drive with a magnetic clutch
to keep the motors running the same speed. Distance
was recorded through the use of a single encoder
mounted outside the gearbox. It's movement was fully
programmable via onboard keypad. Playing with this was
my first attempt at programming anything, which is
probably the reason Dad conceded and gave it to me for
Christmas so many years ago.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it still
worked after all theses years. Well, mostly worked
anyway. Some contacts needed cleaning, and the encoder
needed to be fixed. But is almost back up to
full-functional status now.

The dual motors for this machine can still
occasionally be found through surplus venues. Although
somewhat noisy, they do work very well.