[DPRG] C Compiler

Subject: [DPRG] C Compiler
From: Rick J. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Thu Aug 28 12:20:02 CDT 2003

Kip,

Those rabbit modules look really cool for fast development - short run
applications. Unfortunately, the product I am designing is projected to
sell several thousand, which might make the rabbit stuff cost
prohibitive. Once the development tools are paid for, the XA-G49 chips
are about $8.00 each. The whole board should cost under $100.00.

The reason I'm trying to stay away from banked memory, is that I've done
it before. I took a DS80C320 processor and accessed 1MB with it in 32Kx8
banks. The actual hardware for this was simple, but the software got
very complex. The banked memory was used for a database application, and
records were stored, sometimes overlapping memory banks. Furthermore,
performing the bank calculation on every byte stored slowed the entire
process to a crawl. I eventually had to write a special algorithm which
monitored the distance from the beginning or end of a bank, used direct
access with bank offsets to read/write table data if the record did not
overlap. If a record did overlap banks, it had to write the number of
bytes up to the end of one bank, switch banks, and write the remaining
data into the next bank. All of this for variable length records with
variable length key fields.

I got tired of beating my head on the computer. :)

Rick J. Bickle
Integrated Control Systems
Voice:  (972) 522-1593
Fax:    (972) 660-7950