[DPRG] C Compiler

Subject: [DPRG] C Compiler
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Thu Aug 28 15:45:01 CDT 2003

I fully understand your problem.   I hate banked memory as a general
rule.  But hear me out.

The Rabbit 2000 has a 1 MB linear space for program and data memory with
glueless interfaces for flash and SRAM.

If you use 128K for Flash you can use the rest of the 1 MB memory for data
(unbanked).

If you need more memory, then the R2000 has an I/O space. Separate from the
program and data space.  What I was proposing was to use the program and
data space for your programming and variable location. But put an
additional 1MB in the I/O space for only the table.  You only access it
when you need a value from the table. All other variables are in the
regular (unbanked) data memory.  What it means is that you have accessor
functions for the table data but the rest of the system works like normal.
(Think disk access, only faster)  No banking for 97% of the code.

You can use the rabbit chips and not use the modules.  I built prototypes
with modules, and am going to switch to the processors (no modules) when we
go into production.  It allowed me to get the prototypes and software ready
faster.  I was able to test most code with just the development system, and
I was able to make a cheap prototype board for the custom HW to test that
out.  When I was sure everything would work, then I made the production
board.  The other nice thing about the modules is that they give you the
full schematic, so you can move the module circuit onto your production board.

Again my opinion.

Kip