[DPRG] Line Following

Subject: [DPRG] Line Following
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Sun Aug 31 09:53:01 CDT 2003

Earl,

But a relay is a switch, just like a transistor is a switch.

A truly simpler line follower would use the large, 1W CdS photocells from
American Science & Surplus:

http://www.sciplus.com part number 32155 3/$2.25

... with two small (<1W) motors and a bright incandescent light bulb (and a
battery and some wire...).  Each photocell would be used to directly govern
the current going to each motor.  On our course (white line on black
background), you would need to swap the left and right sensors, so that as
the left sensor registered less light (straying into the lefthand black),
less current would flow through the right motor, inducing a right turn.
Note that this is how the human body works (left side nerves connected to
right side of brain, etc.).

This model uses no "switches" at all.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat