[DPRG] "out-of-focus" issues

Subject: [DPRG] "out-of-focus" issues
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Sun Dec 7 22:17:00 CST 2003

Definitely highlights the difference between "leadership" and "management."
Clubs need a leader, this is Roger's "president" role, as they get larger
they need a manager (not available in his current structure.) I've
participated in clubs organized as Roger has chosen to initially organize
the ETRB. The risk inherent in that design is the creation of a 'cabal'
(which is a clique of the President and his or her trusted advisors.) Once
a cabal is created (often unconsciously) creative people generally stop
attending (they are "outside the cabal" and so can never be heard.) Now its
the job of the leader to insure that no one is left out, but such things
are not always obvious. (actually they are often not obvious!)  I've found
it is good to insist that people with good ideas give presentations, they
get exposure, they meet more people, and the club is enriched.

--Chuck