[DPRG] "out-of-focus" issues

Subject: [DPRG] "out-of-focus" issues
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Tue Dec 9 12:19:00 CST 2003

I just got back from San Antonio where I was Sunday until today.  Wow!

As I was reading all of the posts I was hoping Roger would not get upset
about all the discussion. It looks like he is not. Which makes me very
happy.  Roger is a good guy, and as his post says he is trying to free the
participants of the organization.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all organizational structures.

While Roger is opposed to dues, and formal meetings, and 501C, that is not
where the ETRB is or will be for a while.  I have been involved in many
theater companies.  A lot of them start out like ETRB.  They work fine
until one of two things happen:

1. The founder quits or burns out.  Then there is no one trained to take
over. The organization disappears.
Or
2. The organization gets too big for one person.  Then the problem is
moving from a founders organization. To a more "corporate" type of
organization. It is a difficult transition and many organizations die
because of the stress of the reorganization.

Until one of those things happen, the organization works just fine for many
years.

Next year is the DPRG 20 anniversary. The club has progressed past the
start-up phase. We already have the "corporate" structure.  The DPRG does
not live or die because of one member. It is too big for that.

The qualities of the RBNO at the "Club House" are a direct result of the
organization and size of the DPRG.  Without the available funds from the
DPRG we would not have gotten the floor built as quickly, we would not have
had the walls built, no A/C for the computer room (and paying the electric
bill for it)  We would not have the assortment of practice courses.

There are plusses and minuses to all organizations. Just because ETRB is
not organized the same way DPRG is does not mean it will not be
successful.  My guess is that to some extent DPRG started out the same way
in practice. Just not so formally stated.

Kip