[DPRG] New SONY running robot

Subject: [DPRG] New SONY running robot
From: Will Martin willm at whmcustomservices.com
Date: Fri Dec 19 00:21:14 CST 2003

This is exactly why I am a big fan of SONY.  Honda invests in similar
development projects and frankly that is why the Japanese based
companies are the primary players in this particular market (albeit a
future market at this point.)  The humanoid form, self contained
robots with AI and human interaction capabilities will, in my opinion,
become an invaluable tool in endearing ever evolving technology to the
masses.  Imagine that on every block in New York patrolled
a “courteous information robot” to give out directions, provide
limited emergency assistance, even help little, old Mrs. Smith cart
her grocery bags home.  Just possibilities or pipe dreams I know, but
so was the computer not so very long ago.

Too bad the U.S. economy has little or no corporate support for such
R&D.  Even academic forerunners such as MIT lack the funding and
general interest to seriously compete.  What are others views on this
subject?

--Will Martin

> Here are some movie links of the robot running, etc...:
>
> - falling down:  http://cds301.bit-drive.ne.jp/shp/02-27-QR103/
> - running:  http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony_04.wmv
> - pitching a ball:
> http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony_05.wmv
> - dance troupe:
> http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony_06.wmv
>
> Maybe Dell, Hitachi, HP, Fujitsu, IBM,and Toshiba will start to build
> and exhibit walking robots too.
>
> Ted
>

> "Rick J. Bickle" wrote:
>
> > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=569&e=4&u=/nm/20031218/tc_nm/tech_sony_robot_dc