[DPRG] Re: New SONY running robot

Subject: [DPRG] Re: New SONY running robot
From: Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Date: Fri Dec 19 13:01:01 CST 2003

	Whoa... Closing political rant aside there, I have a question or
two.

> Eventually, I do not doubt for a second that walking robots will be
> driving cars, flying planes...there is simply less chance of human
error.

	What do you consider "human error"?  Remember, one of our
greatest advantages over machines is our ability to process unfamiliar
situations and react accordingly.  The main reason we still have pilots
in our jetliners -- in addition to the autopilot computer that, frankly,
does most of the flying -- is that robots simply cannot match human
adaptability.  Machines may aid us in the more computer-friendly tasks,
but in all likelihood, there will always be someone at the controls,
ready to override when (not if) something goes wrong.

Just my two cents...

Peter