[DPRG] Re: New SONY running robot

Subject: [DPRG] Re: New SONY running robot
From: Will Martin willm at whmcustomservices.com
Date: Fri Dec 19 16:06:00 CST 2003

I beg to differ.  Robots have already replaced at least 50% of the
workforce at my previous employer.  Just as I stated before, the
computer was never even conceived of in its current incarnation until
the late 1940's.  At this point in robot history, we (the Japanese
Corps. for the most part) definitely have the technology that
describes how to emulate human though and movement.  The ability to
gather information is also present, even in SONY's Qrio demo.  The
robots were gathering broadcast, visual, and physical feedback data
the whole time AND RESPONDING to that data.  For most of us, we WILL
see humanoid robots within our lifetime.

I feel that the resistance of U.S. involvement in high level robotics
& AI research is based primarily on our Capitalistic views of how the
world should work.  If you build a robot to replace every worker in
the U.S. you would have nothing but large corporations making products
and offering services that none of the unemployed people could buy.
The way it should happen is that since all of the labor is being done
by robots, the human race should be elevated to a level where primary
issues of humanity can be addressed without the worry or even the need
of a monetary system.  No more war, no more hunger, no more murder, no
more crime.  But there is no money in that type of governing system;
the administration of such a system is incomprehensible to most if not
all of our current leaders today and for the most part even the
general populous.  THAT is what the hold up is.

--Will Martin