[DPRG] Re:

Subject: [DPRG] Re:
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Sat Dec 27 15:27:01 CST 2003

Sorry David, I did not mean to wave hands.  I was trying to explain what I
think is wrong and gave two different ways to solve it.  Obviously I did
not make myself clear the last two times, and Chuck's write-up was also not
clear enough, because I think he was saying the same thing in a different way.

So I will try one more time.  You have two options.  1. More Battery
Voltage.  2. Tune it to work at a lower voltage.

If your system will not preform at the lower voltage because of the torque
needed to balance, then add more voltage.

This is what you are already doing with the regulator.  To get 24V out, you
had to add batteries to make the input 27V or greater.  What I am saying is
to try it with the 27V (or whatever) without the regulator.

What I think the problem is, has to do with running out of PWM.  When you
hit a PWM of 100% duty cycle you can't do more.  If you are running the
system close to maximum PWM, if the battery sags, you can't have more than
100%  So you need more headroom, so increase the battery voltage, but
pretend it is still 24V.  The PID should then compensate for the lower voltage.

The other option is to make it work at 18V and keep the same 24V
battery.  But because of the system, 18V may never work, because it does
not generate enough torque to allow the robot to balance.

-----------------------------

There is also a chance that the parameters are not optimal.  I would
propose a Monti Carlo search to determine the parameters.  If you have a
day this week you want to work on a Monte Carlo search for optimal
parameters, I will come on down and we can work on it together.  I assume
you have an idea of what "good" and "better" control looks like for your
system.  If not, I would propose running the robot in a certain path, and
summing the square of the errors.  Adjust the parameters and run the robot
in the same path and sum the square of the errors again.  If the sum is
less in the second case, then those parameters are "better".   This is
repeated until you can not find any "better" combination of
parameters.  The Monte Carlo portion of the technique adds a random number
(the number can be positive or negative) to each of the parameters (K1..K4)
to generate a new combination to try.  Now that I have looked at the code,
and see you are using integers for each of the factors perhaps it would be
best to try all of the combinations of adding -1, 0, or +1 to each of the 4
K values.  That would be 3^4 = 81 tries to locate the best value for one
iteration.  The one with the least error is the starting point for the next
iteration.  Fortunately you do not have to do 81 on the second iteration
because some of the combinations of values have already been tested.

Kip