[DPRG] interface parallel port in Linux?

Subject: [DPRG] interface parallel port in Linux?
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Sun Dec 28 16:25:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 15:45, Wayne Patterson wrote:
> Is there someone that explain to me how to use a parallel
> port for I/O in Linux, or could point me to a web page
> that would? I want to control each pin to communicate
> with a PIC, or two.

First, I'd suggest a visit to Freshmeat.net to do a search on 'pic'.
There's a lot of pic software already available for Linux so you may be
able to find what you need. If not, you may find something close that
you could modify (it's all open source, after all). If you don't find
anything that you need and want to build it yourself, here are some
links to get you started:

Linux I/O port programming mini-HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IO-Port-Programming.html

The Linux Parallel port mailing list - this page also provides links to
lots of existing drivers (and there are also the basic drivers included
with your Linux distribution). You can get a good idea of how things
work by looking at their source code.
http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html

Here's a GPL C library that claims it takes care of the details and
should make it pretty easy to control individual pins.
http://www.circlemud.org/~jelson/software/parapin/

-Steve