[DPRG] No Problem!

Subject: [DPRG] No Problem!
From: Charlie W Youngblood chaz128 at juno.com
Date: Mon Feb 10 15:18:01 CST 2003

Randy,
	Very well said. Thanks for your many contributions
to the club! Your experience and excitement is appreciated as
much as your sponsorship!

Charlie Youngblood
DPRG Librarian

>From: "Randy M. Dumse" <rmd at newmicros.com>

Yup, that's right, that's me, often found tap dancing in a mine
field while none the wiser for it. Last thing I did last night,
was wonder why that last post didn't come back from the list, so
I "resent" it to the list. This was after taking Nyquil and
before going to bed. So much for state of mind.

But hopefully something positive can come out of it. For me, it
has challenged my thinking. It's much clearer to me now that
members of the club aren't the whole club, and anyone who puts
out effort to do something for the club, should feel free to do
so. By the same token anyone who isn't interested, should feel
free not to go to something someone else puts on. Since the
later is a given, the former must be accepted as well. Any
sponsor ought to recognize that as well. The club ought to be a
place of free idea exchange, and not the private domain of any
sponsorship, mine included. There will always be difference of
opinion and preference, as well there should be.

A great deal of the value I get from the club sponsorship and
participation is feedback. You know in a recent thread about
Lance's East Texas kids, I was some what piqued by having to
admit I'd have trouble explaining to a beginneer why an
IsoPod(TM) would be a better value. Not that I don't think it is
true, but because it is hard to explain. That was feedback. I've
been thinking about the situation deeply since.

What did I do about it? I went back to Tom and Chris and
explained the problem, and challenged them to come up with a
lower cost first product. As a result we are looking at other
options for design. Maybe we could make a larger board (so we
didn't have so many layers and would be cheaper to make) or a
smaller processor (less cost), or even a cheaper processor
family, we're looking to see if we could do another HC11
(already expresssed my opinion on that) or HC12 or an
DSP56F803/2/1/, etc., board. This is all good and positive.
Whether we will be able to find something we can eventually
offer or not, isn't really the point. The point is, the
sponsorship is working for us, EVEN when the club doesn't buy
our product. Hopefully, all the sponsors have similar
relationships, with feedback for product improvement being a big
part of the mutual benefit. Sponsorship should be a two way
street, and sales isn't the only means of navigating that street.

Randy
www.newmicros.com