[DPRG] Re: The history of DPRG 501(c)(3) status

Subject: [DPRG] Re: The history of DPRG 501(c)(3) status
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Fri Feb 21 18:27:01 CST 2003

Howdy

W.E.Cole writes:

> What were the reasons that Roger objected so strongly to the filing? To be
> honest, the only real negative side I've seen is the trouble of getting it
> setup and the record keeping.

Roger's postings speak pretty well for themselves.  At the risk of over-
simplifying, it comes down to a sort of half-political-half-religious
aversion to government involvement in the affairs of men.

I was part of a 501c(3) organization for about 15 years, the BL Lacerta
Quartet, both as a board member and as and employee, and I have mixed
feelings about it myself.

One the one hand, it really is not much trouble to administrate once it
is setup, and does allow a level of fundraising we have not heretofore
sought (like BIG corporate sponsorship, in the Quartet we routinely got
multiple grants in the $25k to $50k range).

On the otherhand, that level of money tends to arouse a certain type of
possessiveness that the DPRG has so far avoided.  And that's not only
a tribute to the folks that currently contribute their time and energy
to the club, but also raises some ominous concerns about people who will
join in the future.

So I tend to share some of Roger's apprehensions, if not for the same reasons.
Or maybe it is...

dpa