[DPRG] RE: DARPA Grand Challenge

Subject: [DPRG] RE: DARPA Grand Challenge
From: Ed Okerson eokerson at texasconnect.net
Date: Mon Feb 24 11:59:01 CST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Randy M. Dumse wrote:

> > > Further, if no one finishes, DARPA has risked nothing,
> > > spent nothing, and "for free" seen the best technology
> > > which can be assembled by a bunch of loosers.
> >
> > Hey!  I resemble that remark!
>
> No you don't Ed! No one should take that comment personally. I'm
> just a bit angry that if no one finishes according the DARPA's
> artifically predefined rules, they gets what they want and,
> literally, no one else wins.

I know, that is why I responded in the joking manner.  And I take very
little personally, life is too short.  But, yes, this is a big show and
tell for DARPA, the secret is to tell only enough to get them to open the
checkbook to get you to tell more details.  The million dollars is not the
real prize, the follow on contracts are and you don't necessarily have to
win the contest to get them.  This is very similar to the contest that
prompted Lindburgh to cross the Atlantic, but that prize was $25,000.
Anyone care to figure out the inflation factor?  What is $25k in 1927
dollars equal to today?

Ed