[DPRG] atmel reset

Subject: [DPRG] atmel reset
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Thu Feb 27 07:12:01 CST 2003

I think I figured it out. Several things affected it.
1.) It turns out the .1 caps I used are mislabled, no telling what values
they really are.
I changed them out using known good caps whose values have worked well
before. Surface mount caps
always suck as they all aren't marked or anything, and they all look pretty
much alike.
Of course the supposedly bad ones might be 500v or 1000v caps which has the
same affect of making
them look bad. Swapping out the caps made a world of difference.
2.) Every once in a while it would still pick up a glitch like power up
problem, so I tied the reset line to Vcc and that problem is crudely
eliminated. Item three would take of this also.
3.) Using the DC-DC converter is a new item for me, I probably should have
put in a "supervisor" IC to monitor the voltages and hold the MCU's reset
line low until power rises above a certain level. That might take care of
the little glitches too, as the "supervisor" IC would help in that area too.
But then that's how we learn. But to use it correctly I would need to design
it in on the PCB to start with, as there is little spare room in that area
of the PCB to kludge one in.
Here is a ref to supervisor IC's, several IC companies make them.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/Supervisors.cfm
These little devices can save a lot of hassles in making MCU's work
correctly.

Thanks to all for your advice.