[DPRG] Where to get steel for a Sumo Ring?

Subject: [DPRG] Where to get steel for a Sumo Ring?
From: Earl Bollinger earlwbollinger at attbi.com
Date: Thu Feb 27 21:31:01 CST 2003

I am looking to get made, a steel sumo ring. But I need to get a piece of
steel first.
This needs to be about 5 feet in diameter (actually 154 centimeters,
slightly over 5 feet). Something from 1/8 to 1/4" should work fine; Heck
1/16" or so would work too, we can always brace it with something.
One side needs to be smooth for the bots the other side can be whatever
(like the diamond pattern walking plates). It also needs to be flat, but it
doesn't have to be perfectly flat.
Since we may want to run robots with magnetics or vaccum assist units, it
needs to be a steel that works with magnets, thus stainless or high
chromium/nickle content steels wouldn't work.

I was talking to Eric Yundt today about it, but the metals dealer he
mentioned is very difficult for me to get to over in Garland. Eric has a
plan to cut out the circular ring, we just need to find the metal.
A piece of steel that would made a 5 foot sumo ring may be difficult to get,
Eric had the idea of butting up two pieces and running a long bead with the
welder on the bottom side. So that might work too.

Anyway, any ideas on where I can get the "fixin's" at?
This would have to be in the DFW area, but  a short trip someplace over the
weekend might be possible, Especially if the price is right.
I am willing to pay for it, but free or almost free is still really good. :)