[DPRG] FRS Radios

Subject: [DPRG] FRS Radios
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Sun Jun 8 22:57:00 CDT 2003

I think the FRS bands are voice only, and you might get spanked if you
transmit data, although I completely agree that the (eventual) price is
right!  I've got a box full of these little radios that I've bought at
various junk stores for anywhere from $5-$9 each.  I had a project for
opening a gate from about 500' away, and I was thinking exactly what you're
thinking.  I was going to use DTMF back and forth, but I'm pretty sure es
ist verboten.  Any hams out there that got the straight dope?  You need to
make sure they have a PPT (push to talk) interface in the mic input so you
can make it go.

I'd be very interested if anyone else has done anything like this.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317