[DPRG] Re: FRS Radios

Subject: [DPRG] Re: FRS Radios
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Mon Jun 9 11:38:01 CDT 2003

I think it's clear that the rules are meant to keep the airwaves open for
people to talk, and not flooded with telemetry.  All we have to do is
advance text-to-speech and voice recognition a couple of orders of
magnitude, and we're in the clear.  I think high-speed data transfer is out
of the question for now, at least using FRS.

However...

We could get by with very low speed data with simple voice output from the
robot.  Sample ten numerals and some small number of other words or letters
at a low enough bit rate (4KHz or so) and store them in a serial EEPROM.
Play them back using either an 8 bit DAC or PCM.  A fast PC should be able
to be trained to recognize such a limited vocabulary with excellent results.
I'm surprised how well the MS voice recognition works.  Of course, I'm
surprised that my PC boots every morning.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317