[DPRG] Re: How I learned to stop worr

Subject: [DPRG] Re: How I learned to stop worr
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Mon Jun 9 13:14:00 CDT 2003

Howdy

Dale wrote:

<snip>
> I got one quadrature encoder built and working last
> night.  Unfortunately, since it's measuring the wheel, the resolution is
> horrible.  I might have to switch to "timer ticks per encoder count"
> instead of the other way around.  :(
<snip>

Congratulations!! Big step!

My own experience was that I needed more resolution for smooth motor control
and so I moved the shaft encoders from the wheels back up the gear chain.
On the LegoBot, they are on the first spur gear after the motor.  For the
SR04 and nBot encoders, I put them directly on the motor shaft.  For SR04
that gives me about 80 ticks per inch, or roughly 1000 counts per second per
wheel at full speed.  I'll bring SR04 tuesday to demo this.

More whiteboards for the warehouse sounds like a great idea!

cheers,
dpa