[DPRG] Re: FRS Radios

Subject: [DPRG] Re: FRS Radios
From: Dave Evartt davee at wehali.com
Date: Tue Jun 10 19:56:00 CDT 2003

The GPS beacon is not transmitted on the FRS frequencies. It is transmitted on a
seperate, non FRS frequency. Exactly what that is I don't know. But if you read
the specs for the device it says so.  Technicaly, it is even illegal to hook up
a microphone to the FRS trancievers. One of the reasons most FRS radios don't
have microphone and speaker jacks.

Honestly, Hams have thought of doing it for APRS for years, but since we don't
want to lose our licenses, pay the 25,000 dollar fine and maybe go to jail, we
tend to refrain from doing it.

-dave N6TAU