[DPRG] Re: FRS Radios

Subject: [DPRG] Re: FRS Radios
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Wed Jun 11 21:43:01 CDT 2003

Yes, such an encoding scheme would not only work, it would actually be
necessary.  However, most commercial radio link products already have this
(or something equivalent) built in.  In some cases you still have to encode
your digital data to get an equal number of ones and zeros.

Also, your information about testing the tapes is also important.  The radio
link medium, like analog recording tapes, is subject to many outside
influences, and you can't assume it's reliable (at least not 100%).  Some
method for sending checksums or CRCs should be incorporated, and a return
channel required to confirm correct reception.

Then you get into keeping track of data packets and sliding windows and
pretty soon you've re-invented TCP/IP.

What I didn't know before when I wrote about the TTS and voice recognition
idea was the requirement that the other end of the radio link had to be an
employee or relative (or some-such).  As Eric pointed out, one might get
away with it for a while, especially if one lives out in the boonies, like I
do.  Using it at the Science Place might be frowned upon.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317