[DPRG] air conditioner

Subject: [DPRG] air conditioner
From: Bill Boyer daweasel at swbell.net
Date: Thu Jun 12 14:59:01 CDT 2003

I'm not volunteering, I'm just trying to keep the club from making a
mistake that will cost them later on.

I am by no means a math or HVAC whiz, but I did some searching and found
some info on general sizing for household use. For a 100 square foot
room, it will take a 5000-6000 BTU unit for an uninsulated attic and a
4500-5000 BTU unit for an insulated attic. Remember, this is household
-- a sofa, TV, 2 people and a dog?

If you install too small a unit, it will run constantly or cycle on and
off too much and eat up alot of power.

Someone needs to sit down and measure the area of the room and figure
out how much heat (by virtue of how much current they pull?) all the
boxes are generating, and then throw in the heat generated by 2-3
humans. Mike may be able to tell you about the wall construction and if
things are insulated.