[DPRG] air conditioner

Subject: [DPRG] air conditioner
From: Ed Koffeman edk at kinetric.com
Date: Thu Jun 12 15:32:01 CDT 2003

Actually, I think it's better to buy a little too small than a little too big.

If the SEER efficiency is the same on both units, then the total power consumed
will be about the same for the same amount of heat removal.

Under normal conditions the smaller unit will probably take out more humidity
though (more cu.ft of air flow past the cold coils per hour), and might give
better comfort for the same energy usage.  It should really be sized to run 100%
constant-on on the hottest day.

However, for a part-time facility, it might be better, yes, to go way-too-big
so it quickly brings the temps down and therefore doesn't need to be turned on
other than the actual time of occupancy.

Still, better something than nothing.  Even if it drops the temps from
unbearable to bearable it's a good idea.

If doubling the cost gets you e.g. 3x the BTUs it might be wise to take it to a
vote and have DPRG buy it.

Ed Koffeman