[DPRG] And now for something Completely Different!

Subject: [DPRG] And now for something Completely Different!
From: Dan Miner miner at centtech.com
Date: Tue Jun 17 12:47:01 CDT 2003

A bit of history.  Cyrix was founded in the late 1980's.
Centaur Technology (my company) was founded in 1995 as a
subsidiary of Integrated Device Technology.

Centaur and Cyrix were competitors in the marketplace.
I have a biased opinion as to whose processors were best!
Let's just say the 2 companies weren't best friends.

Cyrix was acquired by National Semiconductor in the late 1990's
and was then sold to VIA Technologies in 1999.  A few months
later, IDT also sold Centaur to VIA Technologies.  In less than
a year, all the Cyrix physical assets were sold off and all
the employees were gone.  Cyrix exists no more.  It is GONE.

Centaur processors are now marketed under the "VIA C3"
brand name and appear in the Mini-ITX boards I think Chuck
is referring to above.  It is a bit of a "hot button" to
me, but our processors don't have a single molecule of
Cyrix (gag!) in them!  They are CENTAUR processors!

			- Dan  (I feel much better now! ;-)