[DPRG] Maxima installed on Hal at the "Club House"

Subject: [DPRG] Maxima installed on Hal at the "Club House"
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Thu Jun 19 14:15:01 CDT 2003

We can pick at the fine points, but all of them came from DOD-Macsyma.

It is like all the C variants came from Kernighan & Richie C at Bell Labs.
All of the C languages have the i++; statement, for example, and a lot of
other common structures and commands.

C++ was a big extension of the original C language, but if you don't know
all the details about C++ you can still program with the basic C commands.

The Macsyma descendents have a lot of the same syntax and commands.
All of them are based on LISP.

Wolfram has better graphing capabilities from the little I have seen.
I have not seen Maple so I can't comment.

I can run many of the examples in the Mathematica book on Maxima.  (I have
not tried them all but will bring the book to the next RBNO, and we can see
if you want.)  In the Mathematica book Wolfram acknowledges everyone except
Macsyma. But it is funny how the commands are the same...  You can't do
that with C and Ada or Pascal, or Algol, or COBOL or FORTRAN.

This is from the Sourceforge page.
"Maxima is a descendant of DOE Macsyma, which had its origins in the late
1960s at MIT. It is the only system based on that effort still publicly
available and with an active user community, thanks to its open source
nature. Macsyma was the first of a new breed of computer algebra systems,
leading the way for programs such as Maple and Mathematica."

Kip