[DPRG] MiniSumo Contest

Subject: [DPRG] MiniSumo Contest
From: Karim Virani karim at compuguru.com
Date: Sat Nov 15 18:06:01 CST 2003

Much thanks to the judges for awarding my son Max a certificate - he's
very proud of it and I hope he'll continue in the hobby.

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but I was interested in the
false-start issue.  I'll say my piece and leave it to the rules
committee whether to consider the issue.

I found that there was a violation specified if the operator were to
"Start operating robot within 5 seconds after Gyoji announces start of
the round."  Article 17 paragraph 4 in the 'draft' contest rules on the
website: http://www.dprg.org/competitions/minisumo.html

The penalty is losing the whole match, not just the round.

But maybe the intention of that language doesn't match the strictest
interpretation.  I don't have a problem with builder's having to face
the consequences if they push their designs into an un/metastable
starting position, but perhaps some language about unintentional false
starts might be useful.

Maybe allow each competitor 1 unintentional false-start per round.  2
false starts results in a loss of the round and the judges get to
determine the meaning of 'unintentional'.  The trick is to stop the
round immediately in case of a false start - just like in other
competitions.

Karim