DPRG List  

[DPRG] looking for black wire mesh, speaker grill material

Subject: [DPRG] looking for black wire mesh, speaker grill material
From: Bill Boyer daweasel at swbell.net
Date: Thu Oct 2 08:28:01 CDT 2003

The stamped stuff with the diamond-shaped holes is called expanded
metal. You can get it with various sized holes up to God-awful huge. If
you want cheap you can go to a building supply and ask for lath -- the
stuff they nail to the wall to make plaster stick to it.

The heavy formed mesh is something different and may be more difficult
to find. I was thinking i had seen pre-made speaker grilles / frames in
this stuff at the car audio shops.

> I’m looking for a source for the wire mesh material that is commonly
> used for speaker grills.
> I can get regular window screen material at the hardware store but
> it’s not what I’m looking for.
> The material on speaker grills is heavier and holds it shape better.  
> I could just get some
> out of a speaker grill but only the smaller speakers have the fine
> wire mesh.  Larger speakers
> have more of a stamped metal waffle mesh.
> Any idea where I can find this material?     I need about 12” wide.

More information about the DPRG mailing list