[DPRG] Atmel AVR Programming Problems

Subject: [DPRG] Atmel AVR Programming Problems
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Tue Oct 7 11:23:01 CDT 2003

Bill,

> As far as the 1200, many moons ago I said something at a meeting about
> how difficult it was to get some working and what I had to go though,
> but one of our armchair experts said that couldn't be. Now we know.

As an "armchair expert" on the Atmel AVR chips myself, I know how
frustrating it can be to get up to speed on a new family of chips.  The only
recommendation I can make is "read the datasheets".  All of the problems
recently related are clearly dealt with in the product literature (and I
don't mean buried in some arcane errata sheet, or application note).  If
anyone wants specific examples, I would be happy to provide them.  The only
exception to this has been with the relatively new ATtiny26, whose
documentation is a severe disappointment.  I mentioned this to the Atmel
higer-ups and they would only comment that it was written by "a different
group".

If it's any consolation, I run into the same problems every time I start a
new project.  Every time I start to think I'm going crazy, because I *know*
this worked before.  Then I remember some little tidbit that sets me
straight.  And I make the same mistakes every time!  Reviewing the product
data is always helpful.  When that fails, excellent product support is
either a phone call or email away.  Atmel also presents detailed technical
seminars for free about once a year in the Dallas area, which I can highly
recommend.  Last year I got a free STK500 and this year a free AVR Butterfly
(and some extra ones for the club, courtesy of Pat Regan).

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317