[DPRG] Chat session for webcast

Subject: [DPRG] Chat session for webcast
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Wed Oct 8 15:57:01 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 14:50, David P. Anderson wrote:
> us.chatjunkies.org#DPRGLive
>
> Here are some instructions:
> http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/mirc.html

Thanks David!

Note that you don't *have* to use mIRC, the client mentioned in the
instructions. You can use any chat program that talks standard IRC
protocol. If your system already has a standard chat client installed,
you should be able to just click on this link and join in:

 irc://us.chatjunkies.org:6667/#DPRGLive

I'll try to get this information up on the dprg webpage before
Saturday...

Also, a couple of folks at the RBNO last night suggested that some
Windows IRC programs may be a security risk of some sort. I don't know
the details on this or which are the problem IRC clients (I can't
imagine they're any more dangerous that using IE or Outlook in any
case). But if you want to be safe, the full Mozilla package includes an
IRC program called ChatZilla!. If any Windows users are aware of other
IRC clients that are known to be safe (or unsafe) feel free to post
suggestions.

-Steve