[DPRG] ASCII???

Subject: [DPRG] ASCII???
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Thu Oct 9 18:25:01 CDT 2003

At 04:52 PM 10/9/03, you wrote:
>hi,
>    i'm doing a report on microprocessors, and i stumbled on some info
> about ASCII. first of all, tll me if you can program in straight ASCII.
> is ASCII just binary; or is it something similar but different in some
> way. the reason for this question is if it's a variation of binary, i
> could do some really cool stuff. what i mean by binary is e.g.: 1011010
> woud be 14 because 1+3+4+6=14. regardless, i would also like to know what
> chips can carry out code in ASCII. thanks.
>
>                             happy roboting,
>                                              Walter Briggs

ASCII is a standard representation of characters in 7 or 8 bits.

Every character has a binary representation. http://www.asciitable.com/

The computer can only store 0 and 1.  To represent something else you need
a pattern of 0 and 1.  A standard technique is to use 8 bits (One byte)  to
represent characters.  How they map into characters depends on the
translation table. ASCII is one such representation. EBCDIC is another that
IBM made, but not as popular now.

Most everyone agrees on the first 128 characters in ASCII. The Second 128
has different character representations depending on the particular standard.

So here is a question for you what is

10011010  01101011  ?

It is 16 bits but it does not mean anything out of context.

If you think it is ASCII then it is two characters "Ãœk"
If it is two 8 bit unsigned values then it is 154 107
If it is two 8 bit signed values then it is -102 107
If it is a 16 bit unsigned value it is 39531
If it is a 16 bit signed value it is -26005

And it could be a program instruction for a computer.  But which one
depends on the computer architecture.

Kip