[DPRG] battlebots

Subject: [DPRG] battlebots
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Sat Oct 18 01:53:01 CDT 2003

At 03:27 PM 10/17/2003, David P. Anderson wrote:
>Do you think it is involvement with the media herself that
>has caused these difficulties, or is it the large sums of money?
>
>Or are those two perhaps inseparable?

There is clearly a combined effect. As the sums of money got larger and
perhaps more importantly the celebrity effect which kicks in when you've
been "on TV" attracts a different type of person. It is truly sad what some
people will do to "get on TV". And those few create a fairly unhealthy
atmosphere for everyone else.

Then there are people who are "world class" competitors, doesn't matter
what sport, they are determined to be the best in the world at any cost.
These are the guys that run the judges ragged trying to 'escalate' their
interpretation of the rules. They somehow believe that because "you" the
referee/judge won't agree that they have the right interpretation and you
don't, you are the bad guy. They seem to be incapable of accepting the fact
that their own misjudgment cost them the match, not some biased judging
that favored "a friend of Trey or Greg."

Over the years I'm coming to appreciate that there is a threshold under
which neither of these people will attend an event (presumably it is
beneath them). "Big" money (and we're talking $1K+) or "National TV" seem
to guarantee their arrival.

There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid them.

--Chuck