[DPRG] Camera needed at RBNO

Subject: [DPRG] Camera needed at RBNO
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Mon Oct 20 15:43:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 14:49, William James wrote:
> I need to take a 300dpi picture of Beerbot. My phone
> camera has a resolution of 640 x 480. I don't believe
> that is enought.
> First, how do you figure out the DPI of a specific
> resolution.

DPI is Dots (or pixels) Per Inch. Resolution is just an absolute measure
of the total number of pixels. A 640x480 resolution image would be
300dpi if you printed or displayed it with a size of 2.13" x 1.6" (which
is probably a bit smaller than you want).

To figure out the resolution, you need to first know what physical
dimensions you want for the final image. If you want an 8"x10" print at
300dpi, for example, you'd need a resolution of 2400 x 3000 (a 7.2
megapixel digital camera could do that).

-Steve