[DPRG] Encoders

Subject: [DPRG] Encoders
From: Ed Okerson eokerson at texasconnect.net
Date: Mon Oct 20 23:35:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Rocky wrote:

>   I am trying to use the optics and wheels out of a mouse for encoders.
> Has anyone ever tried this and were they successful?

Yes and yes.  I built encoders for one of my first bots by cutting up a
mouse and mounting one encoder on each axle.  I used wire to reconnect the
sensors to the mouse PCB. I then used a PAK VI from Al Williams
(http://www.al-williams.com/pak6mou.htm) to read the data from the PS/2
interface on the mouse.  This resulted in the mouse x data representing
the left wheel and the mouse y data for the right wheel.

Ed Okerson