[DPRG] segway legal in texas

Subject: [DPRG] segway legal in texas
From: Ed Koffeman edk at kinetric.com
Date: Tue Oct 21 17:05:07 CDT 2003

Interesting, but I think if someone wanted to write a ticket, it could be
found that a Segway is actually illegal.

"(2)  propelled by an electric propulsion system with an
average power of 750 watts or one horsepower."

I doubt if the Segway power system is designed to make sure that on average
exactly 750 watts is consumed.  The law doesn't clearly state over what time
period the average measurement is to take place etc., so I doubt if any
vehicle can be found legal at this time.

I'm sure they meant to say "maximum" instead of "average", or else it's
intended to leave them illegal while appearing to favor them.

It might be better to say "maximum sustained power for 10 seconds" or
something, if the intention was really to allow a higher peak power.

Ed Koffeman