[DPRG] Detecting Water Ahead to avoid the Water trap

Subject: [DPRG] Detecting Water Ahead to avoid the Water trap
From: Randal P. Matthew rmatthew at drivesandcontrols.com
Date: Fri Oct 24 02:45:01 CDT 2003

Just jumping in...

When I was in school we went to the AAAI competition and used a laser to
accomplish range finding and obstacle avoidance.

I was part of the programming team, so I don't remember all the particulars
of the hardware, but it went something like this.

We used a non-visible laser (IR) pointed downward at a motor that rotated a
mirror at 45 degrees (presumably a horizontal beam).

We then used a filter on a camera to only see the light and mapped processed
captures for the line (moved very fast and I do remember we had to
compensate for blur (intensity). The resulting image was a broken horizontal
line that would help triangulate position to reflected object (knowing the
height of the camera, the right angle etc.

You could do the same thing with a non-horizontal beam to detect steps
etc... You could also incorporate inclinometer and do some fancy trig :)