[DPRG] Membership...

Subject: [DPRG] Membership...
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Wed Sep 3 17:32:01 CDT 2003

> Perhaps an entry fee for the robots. $5.00 for members, $10.00 for non
> members. Everyone gets their earned prizes...

I like things the way they are.  Our rules are good rules, for the most
part, well thought-out yet ever-evolving.  Adding any sort of entry fee
discourages participation, especially amongst the young or un-funded.  It's
not a raffle ("You pays your money and you takes your chances").  Membership
fees are not contest entry fees.  You get SO much more benefit from being a
member than simply getting your chance at the valuable prizes.

I wouldn't have joined the DPRG if it hadn't have been for the RoboRama.
The interest generated from spectating is important (will we be charging
admission next?), but the open (and free) sign-up for competition is, in my
opinion, even more important.  Robotics isn't easy, and we need to do
everything we can to encourage others (and ourselves) to participate.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317