[DPRG] Build_My_Line Following_Robot

Subject: [DPRG] Build_My_Line Following_Robot
From: W. E. Cole wecole at ev1.net
Date: Wed Sep 3 19:51:00 CDT 2003

You have to understand a few things about DPRG's situtation before it begins
to make sense why we do it this way. To start, the DPRG is not (yet) a 501c3
charity. It was voted on and started many years ago but never finished. Only
recently have we voted to start the process again. Although we have some
great vendors that donate prizes, the total amount is never enough to cover
all the contests, so the majority come out of club funds or donations from
the members themselves. Since we are not yet a tax-deductible charity,
monetary donations are few and far between (except from members, who
ironically enough, have already helped by paying their membership fees).

Another consideration is that we hold our contests at a local Science
Museum, which allows us the use of their facilities free of charge (and open
to the public). We couldn't charge an admission, even if we wanted to (which
we don't). We feel this is one of the ways the DPRG serves our community.

We've talked about different ideas off and on regarding the contests, due,
fees, and prizes, but at least for this year and the one's previous, this
seemed like the best solution. Next year, who knows?

Bill Cole
DPRG Secretary