[DPRG] Help making a dual threaded shaft

Subject: [DPRG] Help making a dual threaded shaft
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Wed Sep 10 08:35:01 CDT 2003

Help making a dual threaded shaftClay, John,

> (any wood workers, help me out with the official name if my description makes any sense).

It's called a Jorgenson adjustable wood clamp.  You can get them at Home Depot.

You might also consider taking two sections of left- and right-handed all-thread rod and connecting them together with a barrel connector in the center.  Just file a couple of flats on the end so a set screw can lock them in tightly.

You can get left-handed taps locally at CDC Surplus in Richardson.  They are on Main St (Beltline) west of Plano Road.

A different approach using a single motor would have a threaded rod running at a right angle to your present configuration (in and out with respect to the robot instead of side to side) and connect that to two followers which translate the in-out motion to side to side motion.  See the older Lynxmotion gripper for details:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/proj052.htm

They have a newer version that uses custom servo output gears instead of pushrods:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/l5arm6.htm

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com