[DPRG] RE: SWARC at RoboRama

Subject: [DPRG] RE: SWARC at RoboRama
From: Gordon McComb gmccomb at gmccomb.com
Date: Fri Sep 12 09:48:00 CDT 2003

At 07:13 AM 9/12/2003 -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:
>2 : a device that automatically performs complicated often repetitive tasks
>3 : a mechanism guided by automatic controls

Constructing combat robots must be fun for their builders, but watching the
"sport" on TV has become a real bore, IMO. I wonder if some of the apathy
toward combat robotics is from this viewpoint. After a while, it all starts
to look the same, and the skill involved in winning becomes less obvious.

Anyway, just a note here...neither of the definitions above, from this
dictionary at least, suggest an autonomous robot. Automatic controls could
be an audio tape controlling Mr. Lincoln's mouth and head at Disneyland.
Indeed, the motion paths of many industrial robots are recorded using a
teaching pendant. #3 obliquely suggests computer control via sensory input,
but doesn't elaborate.

We either need to change our definition of "robot" or get a better
dictionary... <g>

-- Gordon