[DPRG] SWARC at our contest.

Subject: [DPRG] SWARC at our contest.
From: Charlie W Youngblood chaz128 at juno.com
Date: Fri Sep 12 13:30:59 CDT 2003

That's how I found out about DPRG! When I saw those machines
running around with out human intervention it was totally awsome!
Now I build robots(I try anyway), and still mess with computers(pre-
vious interest before discovering home robots). one doesn't take
away from the other. So who's tallying the votes as we discuss this?

Charlie Youngblood
DPRG Librarian
To: dprglist at dprg.org
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:11:06 -0500

Everybody else is throwing in their two cents on this one, so here's
mine. I remember when the DRPG meetings were part of the Infomart super
saturday event. There were tables and meetings for not just one other
geeky organization but dozens. This never caused anyone to get confused
about what the DPRG was. It never caused the DPRG to lose it's
direction. But what it did do was expose a lot of people to our group
that would never have known about it otherwise. We always had lots of
vistors at the meetings in those days who just wandered in from some
other user group and our members visited a lot of meetings for other
groups just because they were there and looked interesting.

That's really all we're talking about here. SWARC is going to be in the
same room with DRPG. That isn't going to cause the DPRG to start
building R/C combat machines any more than having Apple Corp of Dallas
meeting in the same room at Infomart caused us to drop robots and become
obsessed with hypercard stacks. It's just going to bring in more people
who have some shared interests. And if we get spectators who are
confused about the differences, having both groups there will help make
it clear that there is a distinction - they can talk to both groups
decide what it is they're most intersted in and join the right one.

-Steve